11 April 2012

"Psych one, psych two. What do you know? All your life is channel 13..."

I saw and read and watched on TV a lot of things as a kid that certainly my parents wouldn't have wanted me to see.  On the down-low, of course.  Nowadays though, the 'rents would be considered downright negligent.  Still, I relate to this, from Michael Sarko on Popdose...
I admit I’m nostalgic for the days of TV’s unbidden bizarreness, but I know each generation has its own thing. Indie theaters, cavernous book stores, random pamphlets, underground newspapers– They’re all sources of weird throughout the history of pop culture. One way or another, a kid needs to have that strange fruit to fuel creativity and open-mindedness.
Some of the weirdness to which I was exposed between the ages of 8 and 16: The Exorcist (the film and William Peter Blatty's novel), The Young Ones, and thanks to unsupervised late-night cable-access TV-watching, my first therapist in The Asylum for Shut-Ins: Video Psychotherapy.


He tells it like it is...


But, he's really not that stuffy. He's kinda easy-going, really...


He's really helped my creativity and open-mindedness. I've turned out all right, I think.

Right?