19 October 2011

The Green Flash

The Green Flash and Other Tales of Horror, Suspense, and FantasyThe Green Flash and Other Tales of Horror, Suspense, and Fantasy by Joan Aiken
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I couldn't believe my luck when I found this collection at a local used book store! It didn't finish quite as strongly as it started, but there are pieces that were clinics on short-story writing. Here's how I thought of each story...


"Mrs. Considine." I don't describe too many stories as "chilling," but this story of a girl with a gift bonding with an older woman with another gift is just that. 5*

"Marmalade Wine." The reason I snatched this collection from a used book store was this story, which was adapted as a segment for Rod Serling's Night Gallery. A decent straightfoward story about comeuppance. 4*

"Sonata for Harp and Bicycle." The expository middle didn't stop this from being a story of the most romantic exorcism I've ever read. 5*

"Follow My Fancy." This is not a "science-fantasy" story. It's both a scifi story and a fantasy story, rolled into one. 5*

"Smell." Saw the ending coming a mile away. Hate when that happens. 3*

"Searching for Summer." If you let yourself get too caught up thinking "What REALLY happened here?" you'll miss the beauty of this story. 4*

"A View of the Heath." 5* 'cos who said a mystery story has to have anything to do with a dead body?

"Belle of the Ball." If I've ever read a story that was very proto-Aimee Bender and the like (Sarah shun-lien Bynum, etc), this is it. 4*

"Summer by the Sea." This calls to my mind Karen Joy Fowler's Nebula Award-winning "What I Didn't See." You could argue that any sf/f/h genre element is non-existent, depending on how you read it. I will say that reading it one way makes this a better story. 5*

"Minette." Not quite as chilling as "Mrs. Considine," but it is another wonderful example of what happens when two supernatural forces meet. 5*

"Dead Language Master." Very engaging at the sentence level. But to the other mechanics of the piece, my reaction was, "Just...no." 3*

"The Windshield Weepers." Some aspects of this story really seemed ahead of its time. The ending really didn't do it forme though. 3*

"The Green Flash." It pulled me along quite nicely at sentence level. Unfortunately it became obvious that this was 2 or 3 stories thrown together as soon as I gave the plot a second's thought. 3*

View all my reviews