29 September 2010

"God give us the blood to keep going"

I've had a bit of trouble getting a handle on my current work-in-progress.  It had such a promising start, judging from the critiques the first two acts have received.  But I struggled with the third act, so I took some time away from it to write other things.

This story's for a closed anthology, and it's due in about a month.  Time to get cracking again!  So after doing another round of hack-and-slash copyedits, I decided the piece needed a soundtrack.  So I picked some songs to mirror the sort of mood evoked from the picture above, and a couple of songs for different characters' motivations.

Take a listen:
  • Chicago, "Prologue, August 29, 1968"
  • --, "Someday (August 29, 1968)
  • --, "While the City Sleeps"
  • --, "State of the Union"
  • --, "Dialogue (Pt. 1 & 2)"
  • --, "All the Years"
  • Depeche Mode, "Walking in My Shoes"
  • Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra, "Battle of the Species"
  • Manic Street Preachers, "If You Tolerate This, Your Children Will Be Next"
  • Naomi Shelton & the Gospel Queens, "I'll Take the Long Road"
  • Sons of Champlin, "Light Up the Candles"
Yes, I know there are a lot of Chicago songs on here, but at least it's their cool '70s and/or Robert Lamm-written stuff.