14 October 2007

More to Read (Not That I'm Complaining)

I attended a presentation at the local library yesterday by poet, author, and teacher Luis H. Francia, called "Longing and Belonging: The Idea of Home in Asian American Literature". Don't worry, I'll keep my thoughts on the eye-opening themes of his lecture, how they've impacted my personal views on my culture which impacts on my writing, to myself (for now!). Suffice it to say that I was honored to get to speak with the man briefly afterward, and was pleased that the library actually carried two out of the three books he suggested to me, namely the novels Gangster of Love by Jessica Hagedorn and Brian Ascalon Roley's American Son. The library didn't have the third, Hagedorn's Dogeaters, but a local bookstore did.

Yeah, I bought it and borrowed American Son. Yeah, I know I already bought a crapload of books to read. I bought a couple more on top of that last week, too. I'll read what I want. Hey, quit yelling at me...