07 September 2007

"They're only words, unless they're true"*

(*with apologies to Carl Wilson, et al.)

Jesus, this place got dusty. That's okay, though. We'll just sweep it all under the rug and get to bloggin'.

My bud Jill asked me re: my latest piece "Masked"...
When can I read this?
Hell, when am I going to read it?

I haven't since I posted that last entry. "Masked" ended up being a beast of a manuscript, clocking in at 6,651 words by MSWord count. By the "usual" method, we're talking 6,960...call it 7k (especially if I'm sending this to a pro market :)). That's part of the reason I haven't re-read it yet. Yes, there's all that jazz about letting a story "cool" for a bit. But, I just don't write 6600 words! 5500, one time (the one piece I've sold for actual cash). But 6600? I know I've gotta trim, but the last couple of times I read it, I was hard-pressed to find 1600 words worth of stuff to cut.

That'll change, I know. I'm in a panic over nothing. I'm sure when I look at it again (not until at least Monday), I'll be able to take the pencil and slash away. Then, I'll bring it to ol' writing group (if they can stomach it again--if I can stomach it again), and once it passes muster, then I may pass it around to other folks, kind of like a Camberwell Carrot.