10 July 2007

Brain Dump

I ranted like some rabid dog on the other blog some days ago. In case the context might have been lost, the story was that life conspired to deny me the writing time I took off from work to get (i.e. my first paid vacation in years). And since I couldn't get it because, frankly, there were other needs to be tended to, I went and turned into a brat and went all "scorched earth" on my time. Meaning that I utterly refused to be a good family member and make myself present to attend to others' very real needs if I couldn't attend to my writing. Needless to say I made other people's lives, and my own, pretty hellish for a while.

I'm not proud of that.

Luckily, by the end of last weekend, I got over it, even as I managed (to the possible chagrin of others) to beg, borrow, and steal writing time away.

Stephen King said in On Writing:
Reading at meals is considered rude in polite society, but if you expect to succeed as a writer, rudeness should be the second-to-least of your concerns. The least of all should be polite society and what it expects.
Well, I managed to jot some things down, anyway. Oddly enough, though, I really don't think a lot of my company seemed to mind. I made a little bit of progress on the 3rd, and hopefully salable, draft of "The one about the angel"

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
288 / 4,420
(6.5%)

I've also started drafts of things. Good beginnings of...something. Trouble is, see all those projects on the sidebar, there? Regardless of what I choose to work on, if I can't get anything finished come Sunday's critique group, I'm going to be sitting there twiddling my thumbs, and I'm damned if I'm going to do that.